Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thatcher and the guy who gets bit by a pig. . .

So Thatcher talks all day long. I mean really, constantly all day long. I think my ears might fall off. Here's a sample conversation:
Me: Thatcher, it's almost time to go pick up Gretchen from school.
Thatcher: Can I ride up front with you?
Me: No, you have to ride in your seat.
T: What seat?
Me: Your normal seat.
T: What seat? (really I think he's just bored and wants to hear his own voice)
Me: Your booster seat.
T: What booster seat?
Me: You know, your seat that you always sit in that's in our car?
T: What car?

Oh honestly. Some days I nearly loose it with the whats and whys.

So after one episode of Thatcher disappearing on his bike down the street and ended up talking to some random people planting flowers in their yard (luckily the kind people walked him back), we set a limit of the 'green house' down the street. It's a couple houses down and he knows the people that live there from church, and they have a couple kids.

Well he's been riding down there a couple times a day, every time it's good weather. I'm ususally out working in the yard, but I can't see him when he is actually at the green house. Gretchen just informed me that he goes and knocks on their door everytime he rides down there! How embarassing. So I went to go talk to the mom and apologize for the interruptions (I'm sure she thinks I'm a neglectful mother who hasn't the slightest idea where her measly two children are). She was very kind, and apparently, yes, he doesn't only knock once a day, it's every time he rides down there. And he progresses to tell them long random stories, the latest of which included a guy who got bit by a pig (obviously he meant the man in black from The Princess Bride when he is bit by an R.O.U.S. He's been telling me this story a lot lately). I guess I need to adjust to having a child who isn't afraid to talk to people!

I have been complimented on teaching Gretchen how to 'not talk to strangers'. Well, I never had to teach her that one - she just doesn't talk to anyone! I guess I need to work on this with the boy. . .

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I've got a talker too. It's wearing! I love that he stops at the green house all the time- what a friendly little fellow.

    ReplyDelete