Saturday, September 27, 2008

Employment?

Well, friends and family, after weeks of searching and thinking and some soul searching, I have decided to once again become part of the work force! I found a position that is per diem, I have to work at least 3 8-hour night shifts a month, and it's in Labor and Delivery at a hospital that does upwards of 500 deliveries a month. It's pretty fleixble so we can still vacation and such and I can work around Chris's schedule. It's been nice to be a stay at home mom in some ways, and not so nice in others. Those of you who have done both know what I mean! I do have a passion for labor and delivery though. I feel like I'm good at it and maybe I can help save some moms and babies from poor outcomes, and have good experiences. It's nice to keep up my skills, and I really like poking people with needles!

So anyway I finally decided it would be best to not use up all of our rainy day fund, and well, the pay is pretty good! The minimum that nurses start at down here is about $3 more per hour than what I was making after 4 years in Utah! The bad news is that it's about a 35 minute commute. We kinda live in the boonies! This Phoenix area is enormous! I can't believe that it is all considered one valley. I don't think it ever ends! It's weird to not have the mountains to limit things.

So I start next month, after our long awaited vacation to Laguna Beach. We are having my mom come down to watch the kids while I do the initial week orientation. Those big hospital orientations suck the life out of you minute by minute. I guess it could be nice cause you get paid to sit there are listen, but 40 hours worth? Come on people! Oh well. There's no way around it. I'll let you know how it goes!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy I'm not in my child bearing years. You will love the 35 minute commute. Just think 35 minutes all to your self, no phone, no kids, no Chris. A big coke in the drink holder and you are set. I cant think of anything better. Sounds like it is meant to be! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being back in the work force!! But, we miss you here and wish you'd come back! Sounds like things are going well!! Have a super time in Laguna!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, 35 minutes all to myself? HMM, maybe I should get a job in Brigham City...that doesn't sound all that bad! We miss you too!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. What up Arizonans. Hope all is well for the Holt family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i knew you would cave in!! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man sista---here you go! It will be nice to have some autonomy again. You are such a great nurse. They will be lucky to have you.
    One piece of advice-books on tape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog from kimmy's! Your family is so cute! I'm glad things are going well for you down in arizona! That is awesome nurses make so much more there! Maybe I'll be headed your way when I graduate! :)
    Check out my blog @ jensam311.blogspot.com
    Jenny Heikkila

    ReplyDelete