Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gretchen wisdom, and more new Work info

Gretchen says to me, "If I make my eyes like this (she is squinting) I can see all the way to another country!"

So I worked my first shift Wednesday night. It was really different from my last job, I guess I assumed L & D's would be more alike. For those of you that know, here are some of the differences.
1. They are amazingly well staffed - and they think they are short.
2. They have a anesthesiologist and a CRNA on 24/7, a minimum of 2 scrub techs (and they are not cross over housekeepers) even at night - so nurses are not even required to scrub! If you WANT to, you can.
3. The delivery tables are set up by the scrub techs and have about six drawers underneath full of various supplies.
4. The room has virtually no supplies.
5. The charting is a nightmare - the strip and the charting are two different programs, and you have to use the mouse to click everything. Although one bonus is that the VS automatically chart.
6. The NICU team comes with an NNP to all C section deliveries, and then they take the baby and the dad to the recovery room to wait for you to come out from the section (and they stay and supervise!). However, they don't do anything like baby meds, or measurements.
7. Recoveries are TWO hours - this is really lame 'cause I had perfected the one hour recovery. Of course since I have to do all of the baby stuff, I may need it.

That's about it so far. It was super overwhelming and annoying because I feel like I should know what I am doing and I feel like a new grad! I was hoping to avoid the new grad feeling forever! I'll keep ya'll updated on the invigorating new experience (this is said with my eyes rolling).

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty cushy! I'll pass it on to Colleen + see if we can get some changes around here... and you'll have to start campaining to get Storkbytes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete