Saturday, October 25, 2008

New job! Welcome to the rest of the world. . .

So we came home from Cali on Sunday night, picked up my mom from the airport on the way back into town, and I started the new job Monday morning. Gratefully Grandma was here - she has been an awesome nanny/maid/cook during the past week. Orientation sucks! Let me say that again, ORIENTATION SUCKS!!! It is so dumb, they could make it at most one day and still get all of the necessary info in.
Anyway, it will be nice to have a second income again, and I am Jonesin' to start an iv. Wierd, I know - only you nurses will understand!

One thing that has been a big shocker is the variety of folks that are orienting with me. Probably only half of the group of 40 are from Arizona. They are from all over the country, and one from India. I had no idea Phoenix was such a melting pot! It is interesting to get to know all of them.

One thing I have been immediately grateful for is the gospel. I hear them talk about their lives and their stresses and I know that if they had the gospel it would change things greatly. This is such a difference from working in Utah, where it seems like 90% of the staff were LDS. It's a change in life that I am trying to adjust to - it brings a different set of challenges. I appreciate the diversity, but I also worry about my kids and the environment they will be growing up in. It is hard to describe the situation while also being politically correct - dont' any of you take offense! There are loads and loads of fabulous people who are not LDS and many LDS folks who are not fabulous! I am just still working on the adjustment. I miss Utah and all my family and friends. More than I thought I would . . . .

2 comments:

  1. Andria-
    I agree in the working world to me there is nothing worst than orienting. It's like lets sink or swim already. You are a great gal and we miss you! Hope all is well and you enjoy your job. Thanks for your example! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your back in the work force! We miss you tons. All we do is orient people here.

    ReplyDelete